Eyelid surgery is also known as Blepharoplasty
Upper Blepharoplasty is done for upper eyelids where excess skin is removed and if necessary fat bags are removed as well. Lower Blepharoplasty is done for lower eyelids. the main aim of this procedure is to remove excess skin, tighten the orbicularis muscles, modify the fat bags ( either remove or more commonly redrape the fat bags) and in some cases perform canthoplasty ( to improve the tone of the eyelid).
Upper blepharoplasty is done for people with excess upper eyelid skin, baggy upper eyelids and double eyelid ( asian eyelids). when the eyelid skin covers the upper eyelid crease in excess it is a good indication for removal. Sometimes it is associated with fat bags that make the eyelid heavy.
Lower blepharoplasty is indicated in following situations:
- Excess and wrinkled lower eyelid skin
- Lower eyelid bags
- Deep tear trough groove with eyelid bags
- Lax canthal tendon causing drooping of the corners of eyes
Ideal Age For Blepharoplasty
Usually patients above fourty years with above problems are suitable candidates. however rarely surgery may be indicated in younger patients if the problem is causing visible and functional changes.
Not Good Candidate For Blepharoplasty
Patients with unrealistic expectations and psychological problems are not recommended. likewise medical problems such as uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes, cardiac illness etc are not suitable candidates for blepharoplasty.
It is important that you understand your needs and make a list to discuss with your surgeon. find a surgeon who is qualified and experienced.Once you come for a consultation. I will ask you your list of concerns regarding your eyes. I will than ask a detailed medical history pertaining to your eyelids, eyes and general medical history.I will then physically examine your eye region details and note down important and relevant details.I will then explain to you the anatomical problems, reason behind it, whether or not it can be improved and finally details of the surgery including risks and complications.
Blepharoplasty Surgery Involve:
Upper eyelid surgery incision is located in the upper eyelid crease whereas lower eyelid is located just under the eyelashes ( subciliary incision). after removing the excess skin the underlying muscles are tightened using radio frequency. if necessary we remove fat pockets. the sutures are subcuticular and are removed after four days.
It can be performed either under local anaesthesia and IV sedation or general anaesthesia depending upon your requirement.
Lower eyelid incision is located under the eyelash and may extend outside for few millimeters. there are various modifications of the surgery depending upon your requirement.
- Septal reset is new approach where we release the fat bags and fixate the fat in the Tear trough groove. in addition we release the orbital and malar septum that causes deep lines in the lower eyelid bony region.
- Removal of fat bags are rarely done if there is excess fat bulge.
- Mid face lift can be performed through the same approach to lift the mid face or malar fat bags and fix it in the superior position.
- Next step is to tighten the orbicularis muscle by performing a sling fixation to the outer rim of the eye socket.
In some situations either a canthoplasty or canthorapphy is performed to prevent slackiness of lower eyelid. the sutures are subcuticular and removed after three to four days.
Recovery After Surgery:
- There is some bruising and swelling for five to six days. but after removing the sutures make up can help to disguise the bruises. patients can return to work in a weeks time.
- They can start exercise after three to four weeks.
- The recovery is earlier if only upper or lower blepharoplasty is performed.
Risks of Eyelid Surgery:
- The risks include bleeding, hematoma , rare incidences of infection, visible scarring, deformity of the eyelids etc.
- We follow a strict preoperative, Intraoperatve and postoperative protocol to ensure that risks and complications are minimized with best possible result.
Upper Blepharoplasty is done for upper eyelids where excess skin is removed and if necessary fat bags are removed as well. Lower Blepharoplasty is done for lower eyelids.