Dermabrasion is an exfoliating method which uses mechanical devices to remove the old outer layer of the skin, usually from the face. This is a popular cosmetic treatment for those who wish to improve the quality of their skin. Dermabrasion is most useful to treat fine wrinkles, sun damage, abnormal texture and acne scars as well. The dermabrasion process is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure and is performed as an outpatient procedure.
Why to get Dermabrasion?
Dermabrasion aims to remove the dead and old outer layer of the skin. This allows the fresh and younger looking skin to become exposed and give you a youthful and fresh look.
Apart from helping restore youthful looks, this treatment is also useful for successful treatment of:
- Acne scars
- Fine lines
- Age spots
- Scars (from injury/surgery)
- Precancerous patches of skin
- Sun damage
- Uneven skin tone
- Redness/thickness of skin on tip of nose (also known as ‘rhinophyma’)
Dermabrasion is one of the most reliable treatments from these conditions.
How is Dermabrasion performed?
- The cosmetic surgeon will normally administer local anesthesia to numb the skin which is to be exfoliated. This prevents any pain or discomfort to the patient during the simple procedure.
- An assistant usually helps a doctor by keeping the skin stretched as the cosmetic surgeon uses the rotating mechanical dermabrasion device across the skin. This is a small hand-held medical device with a small motorized rotating end wrapped with a rough surface.
- In case larger areas of skin need dermabrasion, then the cosmetic surgeon will use a special circular dermabrasion device while smaller-tipped devices are used for treating smaller patches of skin.
- Once the dermabrasion procedure removes all dead and old skin to the surgeon’s complete satisfaction, the surgeon will apply moist dressing over the treated area to keep it cool and prevent any complications.
What is recovery like after Dermabrasion?
The doctor’s/surgeon’s post-operative instructions are meant to be followed with due diligence. This ensures faster recovery and better results too. Normally, the patient is able to resume work and everyday activities within a couple of weeks from the treatment. There might be slight swelling and pink hue to the skin accompanied with a burning or tingling sensation. At times, a clear or yellowish liquid can be seen seeping out from the treated skin and crust over it. Usually, it takes around 3 months for the skin to lose its pinkish color and the skin to get completely healed.
Are there any risks associated with Dermabrasion?
As is seen in any surgical procedure, the dermabrasion procedure also poses certain risks of complications, such as:
- Anesthetic allergy
- Change in skin color
- Acne attack
- Temporary enlarged skin pores
- Loss of freckles
Scarring might also be seen in very rare cases. However, the surgeon will take every possible precaution to prevent these complications from arising. Dermabrasion is the leading choice for rejuvenating the old and dreary looking skin due to its simple nature and higher success rates for satisfactory results.
cocoona dubai weight loss plastic surgery dr sanjay parashar