What is Labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty is a procedure performed to remove the excess skin in the labia minora, which is the inner lips of the female genital region. Aesthetic genital surgery has become more popular among women’s because of media awareness and extensive information available to them. However as plastic surgeon we have been performing Genital surgery for many years, in the past mostly for reconstructive purpose.
The excess skin can protrude out of proportion to the labia majora. There are many types of labial enlargement or hypertrophy:
- Unilateral labial hypertrophy
- Bilateral asymmetric labial enlargement
- Moderate labial hypertrophy
- Severe labial hypertrophy
- Labial hypertrophy with clitoral hooding
Enlargement of labia minora can cause following problems:
- Aesthetic disfigurements
- Physical discomfort with exercise, tight jeans etc
- Hygiene related issues
- Difficult sexual intercourse
What are the Types of Labiaplasty Surgery?
There are two main types of labiaplasty procedures
1. Trimming labiaplasty – this procedure involves removing the free edge of the labia minora which is often more pigmented, rough and thickened.
The trimming method reduces the size of the labia minora, thus allowing labia majora to cover the minora. It removes the pigmented , rough and thickened edge of the minora.
It may be uncomfortable postoperatively for few days due to sutures at the free edge and occasionally may look unnatural.
2. Wedge resection or “V” resection labiaplasty
In many patients the labia minora is more triangular with the apex of the triangle protruding out of the labia majora.
In wedge resection a triangular excision is performed with reduction in the length of the free edge of the labia minora and the sutures fall inside the minora and runs horizontally rather than vertically as in trimming method.
The advantage of this method is that it is less uncomfortable and retains the natural rugged edge of the labia minora.
3. Labiaplasty with clitoral hood resection or hoodoplasty
In this procedure the excess skin covering the clitoris is also excised. This procedure exposes the clitoris and increases the sensitivity of the region.